Saturday, April 4, 2015

#A to Z Challenge: D is for Dancing


Today's 'heart things, heart strings' theme for the letter D in the A to Z challenge is Dancing. Isn't dancing delightful? ;)

I heard of dance/movement therapy (and other such therapies) in my early 20's and was fascinated by it. "Dance therapy or dance movement therapy is a form of expressive therapy, the psychotherapeutic use of movement (and dance) for treating emotional, cognitive, social, behavioural and physical conditions."

A little over a decade later, I participated in an intensive dance therapy program that lasted about a year. Though dance in this regard is utilized as an expressive therapeutic modality,
"many forms of dance may be considered an aerobic exercise, and, as such, these forms of dance can bring well known benefits, such as reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease, weight control, stress reduction and bring about other benefits commonly associated with physical fitness. In addition, studies have demonstrated a considerable correlation between dancing and psychological well-being. including "reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease, weight control, stress reduction and bring about other benefits commonly associated with physical fitness. In addition, studies have demonstrated a considerable correlation between dancing and psychological well-being."
In fact, a British study demonstrated that Royal Ballet "dancers scored higher than national and international swimmers in seven out of ten areas of fitness." Furthermore, an Italian study "has shown that dance is a very good exercise for heart patients compared to other aerobic exercises like cycling. This may be partly because the patients enjoyed it much more."

One of my preferred forms of exercise is dance; however, I haven't danced lately as much as I used to. When I do though, I dance oftentimes with wild abandon surrendering to the energy and sounds (beat and rhythm) of music. Especially if the music is electronic or has a steady pulsating rhythmic beat, I might even enter into a meditative state.

Yes, you did read that right. There are many ways to meditate and moving meditations such as walking and dancing are two such forms!

Do you enjoy dance as a form of aerobic exercise? If so, what kind(s)?

*Source of information for this post was supplied by wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dance_and_health). Photo of me dancing by Roberto Kaplan.

21 comments:

  1. I used to love dancing, but am afraid I've become far too self-conscious in my later years. Your post has inspired me to remedy that, though - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, one should never lose their love for dancing Laurel! ;) It's great for the body, mind, and soul! :) I hope you will be able to rediscover the joy of dance for your sake. <3

      Delete
  2. haa! I do love dancing! But then, when I dance, my colleagues put me in chains :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great that you do Ajay! :) Your colleagues do only if you allow them to! ;) <3

      Delete
  3. Wow! I never knew dancing could be a form of meditation. I used to dance a lot and then I just grew old I guess :P
    Now I let my words dance..:)
    Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think one is never too old to dance! :) I hope you rediscover the joy of dancing, not just words! ;) <3

      Delete
  4. Oh yes . I definitely share your passion for dancing. Have loved it all my life:-) great to read about all good effects and like meditation too?! Yes, i feel that sometimes- just in my own happy world:-) Lovely post Elly:-) hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I noticed your post Eli! ;) Too bad that I forgot to mention but Sufi whirling dervish is (like) a meditation. :) <3

      Delete
  5. I used to dance in college... take part in competitions and stage shows. It's an amazing feeling, takes all the stress away :) I love that pic... you look so happy :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That's cool Raj, though I'm not surprised with all your amazing yoga moves. :) And yes, I was extremely joyous dancing like crazy there! ;) <3

      Delete
  6. I did not know that a meditative state could be achieved while moving. Interesting! I used to love dancing, but injuries to my right leg (knee and ankle) have made it more difficult now. Bopping around to a good rock'n'roll number while doing household chores makes it less boring. ☺ As a child, I took ballet, tap and jazz dancing classes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, forgot to mention Sufi whirling dervish dancing is a meditation. Oh well! ;) Sorry to hear about your injuries and understandable; however, there are many forms of dance and some are considerably less stressful to the knees etc. Must be challenging when you used to dance so much Debbie. <3

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely! Dancing is so good for body, mind, and soul. I've always loved it--did ballet since I was 3, would rock alone in my room as a teenager with the volume turned up high, never minded not having a dancing partner at clubs and parties (Mexican men don't dance). Nowadays I live with a Dutch guy who loves salsa and merengue and bachata, and who can actually dance them (white men *can* dance ;) ), so we do that every so often. We should do it more...
    Guilie @ Quiet Laughter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's what I said to Laurel above Guilie, absolutely! :) Interesting as I am Dutch and I LOVE salsa, merengue and bachata.- I take lessons outside in the summer by the sea (ocean). :) Never too much dance right? ;) <3

      Delete
  9. Dancing sure is therapeutic. I do pity people who can't dance freely for their self-consciousness. I'm sure you must be a good dancer Elly. I'm no great dancer but I love letting my hair loose at times ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is therapeutic in more ways than one Vinnie! :) When I first started dancing as a late bloomer at a local nightclub, I was very stiff and awkward; I was too self-conscious and inhibited. As time went on, years later, I realized the secret to becoming a good dancer...dance for yourself. Dance as if no one is watching you....there is a quote/expression like that! ;) <3

      Delete
  10. Dancing for me is also meditative and a spiritual experience. I don't dance any style though I love the cha cha cha. Nice one Elly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear Suzy! :) I'm glad that someone else understands and has this experience (not that I need confirmation of course!). ;) <3

      Delete
  11. Oh! i cant dance to even save myself! Have been blessed with two left feet :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everyone can dance, but some people are stuck on the idea that they can't. If you can move your two feet, you can! ;) And by the way, when I first started dancing, I was pretty stiff and awkward! ;) Maybe practice makes perfect?! ;) <3

      Delete