Thursday, April 2, 2015

#AtoZChallenge: B is for Beauty


Today's 'heart things, heart strings' theme for the letter B in the A to Z challenge is Beauty! After all, beauty inspires joy as well as peace of mind and heart.

Google's definition of beauty
is "a combination of qualities, such as shape, color, or form, that pleases the aesthetic senses, especially the sight."

If you look close enough, you can see beauty all around you, and yes, even sometimes in what most people would consider ugly. Even the "ugliest" of scenes or circumstances can contain an element of beauty. I would cite an example of this that I experienced years ago; however, I do not call it right now unfortunately. (I wish I did!)

What does come to mind though is when I judge someone initially in their looks (as we all do) only to discover their beauty in conversation and/or as time progresses. I wrote an interesting post on such an experience, but cannot find it.

There is one particular incident or rather two that I mentioned in this post (http://xpressyouressence.blogspot.ca/2014/09/part-3-suicide-prevention-week.html) which may be/seem horrific for some/most people...hindsight can be a beautiful thing...

Another post, one of my favourites, that I wrote a few years ago (Jan. 24, 2011) entitled 'Beauty in the Downtown Eastside' (DTES) portrays beauty in what can be deemed as ugly.

The DTES is the poorest neighbourhood in Canada and notorious for drug addicts and the like. And yet there was and is an element of beauty that I witnessed. Read more about that story here (http://xpressyouressence.blogspot.ca/2011/01/beauty-in-dtes.html).

Tell me, what elements of beauty capture your eye, your interest?

8 comments:

  1. B IS FOR back again- Beauty- yes I look for that all around me, and as I request the universe to show me something beautiful today it always does- and the response is not always the classical, programmed beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your response Zannie and glad to know that it is not only the 'classic programmed beauty' you see! :) Glad to see you 'Back' again...thanks for visiting! :) <3

      Delete
  2. So true that if you look hard enough, you can find beauty, even in ugliness. Good reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy. I am glad I am not the only one who does! ;) <3

      Delete
  3. Nice pick for the letter 'B', Elly. Beauty definitely lies in the eyes of the beholder and no matter what we say/feel, everything in this world is meant to be beautiful. Although beauty attracts everyone's eyes, it's what the obvious beauty doesn't state and that attracts my eyes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eloquently expressed Eloquent Mind! ;) I couldn't have said it better! :) <3

      Delete
  4. Beauty for me is not in looks of people, but in what they are from inside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you on that one Shilpa as that is where true beauty resides! :) <3

      Delete