Tuesday, April 14, 2015

#A to Z Challenge: L is for Laughter


Today's 'heart things, heart strings' theme for the letter L in the A to Z challenge is Laughter.

You may have heard or not that the average child laughs about 300 to 500 times per day: Wow! Adults on the other hand? Well, that's another story! Do you really wish to know? It's rather sober: adults laugh only about 15 times a day.

Though I love to tease and have fun, I know I fall in the latter category. However, here is one photo where I am laughing heartily -

Photo of me laughing by Roberto Kaplan

Though humour is a great way to release tension, it may be challenging at times to find something to make you laugh hard enough - a good belly laugh - to experience all the wonderful benefits of laughter:

1. Helps to reduce stress by decreasing stress hormones
2. Improves immune system
3. Lowers blood pressure
4. Tones the abdomen
5. Stimulates many organs
6. Improves intake of oxygen
7. Stimulates circulation, breathing, and relaxation
8. Increases endorphins
9. Relieves pain
10. Creates a sense of well-being



Dr. Madan Kataria introduced laughter yoga to the world in 1995 when he learned about the physiological and psychological benefits of laughter.

What makes you laugh?

20 comments:

  1. I am so glad you chose this topic and have mentioned Laughter Yoga. Its very popular in my city and one can see 'laughter clubs' in full flow every morning in most gardens. :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, laughter yoga certainly has grown world wide hasn't it?! :) <3

      Delete
  2. O yes, I need to practice some more of laughter yoga :) I find I am becoming more 'serious' by the day! That's a lovely picture of you, Elly. Infectious laugh you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you're not the only one Beloo: me too! ;) Thanks. :) <3

      Delete
  3. Lovely picture of you Elly. I have heard of Laughter yoga but never tried it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzy. :) Check it out, you may be pleasantly surprised and like it! :) <3

      Delete
  4. I need to practice laughter yoga too, I guess. But I know I laugh more than 15 times a day. But a child laughs 300 to 500 times? :O that is a milestone we adults can hardly reach!

    Like It Happened Yesterdy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps us adults can all use laughter yoga! ;) Yes, isn't that incredible: hard to believe and seemingly unattainable! ;) <3

      Delete
  5. Love your photo, Elly! Your good humour is infectious. ☺ Laughter yoga was unknown to me; what a cool idea! We definitely need more laughter in our lives. It's a great cure-all. Hubby and I make each other laugh. A great joke or a funny movie are good for that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie. :) Yes, my dry/wry sense of humour! ;) I'm surprised you haven't heard of laughter yoga actually as it is so prevalent! Glad that you and your husband make each other laugh: that's awesome! :) I love comedies too.... <3

      Delete
  6. Loved that picture! And you are so right - Laughter is indeed the best medicine and glad to know much more about it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Parul. :) I'm glad you learned something new about the benefits of laughter. <3

      Delete
  7. Wonderful post Elly! We share our L:-) and you write so well of the benefits of laughing - best there is:-) You look beautiful:-) And Im happy to say I think I am above average --- definitely laugh more often than 15 times a day:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eli. :) Great to hear you laugh more often than that! :) <3

      Delete
  8. That's such a lovely picture of yours, Eli! You are truly laughing from the heart! True, laughter is the best medicine. We all can do with more smiles and laughs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shilpa. :) For sure, there is never 'not enough' smiles and laughter! ;) <3

      Delete
  9. the joys of a hearty laughter, when the belly starts aching and tears stream down :D Long time since I laughed so hard. Laughter indeed has so many benefits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps your next yoga will be laughter yoga Raj! ;) Hope you enjoy a good belly ache laugh soon! ;) <3

      Delete