Monday, April 27, 2015

#A to Z Challenge: W is for ... Wisdom


Today's 'heart things, heart strings' theme for the letter W in the A to Z challenge is not Writing, though one can always write more, I had written a few posts on it already: http://xpressyouressence.blogspot.ca/2014/11/writing-when-emotional-not.html or on Judy Yaron's blog, Cut the Crap Solutions (http://www.cutthecrapsolutions.com/#!elly-stornebrink/c21dr) on 'Expert Writing Tips.'

Yet, writing about writing doesn't seem to flow with the rest of my A to Z theme.

I was considering W for Wild as in being outrageous and living one's life according to one's own standards, though I believe I alluded to that (did I not?) in my U post on 'Unique U' (http://xpressyouressence.blogspot.ca/2015/04/a-to-z-challenge-u-is-for-unique-u.html).

However, the word my heart chose is Wisdom. Wisdom comes not only from life's experiences but also from the heart, based on intuition.

There is a well-known expression known as the 'serenity prayer' in the 12-step community where people with similar addictions gather for support in maintaining sobriety: "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serenity_Prayer). Isn't there a lot of truth in that!

"Inspired Elly" by Roberto Kaplan

I never considered myself truly wise, more on the foolish spectrum as I oftentimes react impulsively speaking my mind - is this speaking my truth or intuition? (I am sensitive to energy in the environment and in people as well after all!)

When I started getting feedback however, in the form of a reading or a compliment more than once, I started to pay attention and take notice. And of course I am not always wise: please don't make me perfect! ;)

So I questioned myself: What is it about me that makes me wise? Or asked in another way: How am I wise?

Now my turn to ask you: What (do you think) makes you wise?

10 comments:

  1. Interesting thought about what makes us wise, Elly? Wise cracking is more like it for me! heheh! But I do know what you mean. I do have moments of incredible insight and knowing if I can trust in it and not push it aside. It's good to listen to that inner voice of intuition and experience. We know so much more than we think we do.

    And if we have lived for a while on this planet we have accumulated a lot of wisdom that we should value and use, right, Elly? Not to say we're old at all but you are the same age as me but we are still kids at heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you may have wit which may be a form of wisdom Cat! ;) Inner knowing is certainly valid and ideally shouldn't be discounted or pushed aside as you say. Yes putting wisdom to 'use' so-to-speak is what makes it so! ;) And I understand being a kid at heart Cat: glad you are too! :) <3

      Delete
  2. An interesting post, and a good question.
    I've been accused of being wise on occasion, but never knew the sincerity of the comment. I would say that any wisdom I have comes from the scars of life, the chasms I've fallen into, and a continuous search for truth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks A.J. :) Interesting that you would be 'accused' of being wise! ;) I enjoyed YOUR definition of wisdom: thanks for sharing! <3

      Delete
  3. Experience certainly makes us wise and I've been around a long time - 60 years! Plenty of this wisdom is along the lines of what not to do - learning from one's mistakes Education also makes us wise, but I think it's crucial to have a good balance of "book learning" combined with "street smarts".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, good point there Debbie regarding making mistakes. I didn't mention that one! ;) I like your philosophy of the balance between 'traditional' education (book learning) and street smarts! ;) <3

      Delete
  4. I agree, wisdom comes through life experiences. And you are very wise. You words speaks of your wisdom and learnings :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Raj, you are putting me on a pedestal and I am not sure I deserve to be there! ;) <3

      Delete
  5. Oh yes, we get wise with years of experience! Tough times are great teachers for wisdom too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully we do eh Shilpa! Just teasing! ;) And yes, trying times make us stronger and wiser too hopefully as well! :) <3

      Delete