Tuesday, April 21, 2015

#A to Z Challenge: R is for R&R


Today's 'heart things, heart strings' theme for the letter R in the A to Z challenge is R&R as in "military slang for rest and recuperation (or rest and relaxation or rest and recreation)" and "is a term used for the free time of a soldier in the U.S. military or International UN staff serving in non-family duty stations." (Definition by Wikipedia.)

I prefer rest and relaxation or even rest and recreation as in rec-reation (doing something you enjoy) or better yet, re-creating or renewing yourself by resting and relaxing! ;)

Having time off and personal time are two different concepts, yet both are important in terms of relaxation. The former is obvious, the latter maybe not so. While both can allow you to keep busy, hopefully the first at least will allow you the opportunity to relax and enjoy life - you can do nothing if you so choose! - although hopefully with the latter as well.

Personal time can be time which you spend on doing things that make you feel good and happy such as taking care of yourself through exercise or other self-care needs such as getting a hair cut and/or style, or spending time in nature.

Photo of me hugging a tree

Taking time for yourself is important. It gives the message that you are important which you are! It could be as simple as reading a book or taking a bath or getting your hair done or ...well, I think you get the idea. ;)

I realize that although I have quite a bit of time off - evenings and weekends - I don't spend a lot of quality personal time or at least not as much as I would like or desire, and sometimes that means just doing absolutely nothing but resting, i.e., relaxing! A foreign concept to me it seems as I am often on the go ... busy, busy, busy like a (bumble)bee! ;)

Me 'chilling out' (photo by Roberto Kaplan)

I'm on the computer a lot, with my work and at home. I often blog, catch up on bloggers' posts, emails, and social media. That takes a huge chunk of my time. In fact, most of the day on a lot of days!

What I realize I need and want to do is to get out in nature more, exercise more, and even read more as I have a lot of books waiting to be read! ;)

I need to spend personal time on my time off for the better. And I aim to do just that once I get myself a laptop or equivalent computer so I can take it out with me and not be committed to sit at my desk at work and at home all day or most of the day!

Having down time and me time is important!

When you - your body and your mind - are relaxed, you reduce your stress, you become clear(er) in your thinking, you become more heart-centred, and the like.

What are you committed to in terms of time off and/or personal time?

20 comments:

  1. Right on, Elly. Agree with your points on resting, relaxation and enjoying me time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vinitha. :) I hope you get enough R&R in your life! :) <3

      Delete
  2. See I saw a tree hugger :) I agree with you on all those points. me time is the best!
    In my profession, R&R means rewards and recognition. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my twitter name attests to my tree hugging! ;) "Me time" is important and I hope you get enough of it Parul! :) Yes, I forgot about rewards and recognition: those are great 'R' words too that one can also use in terms of rest and relaxation! ;)<3

      Delete
  3. I LOVE my Me time and get restless when I miss it! Reading a book with a cup of tea and/or reading/writing blogs on laptop is my way of relaxation. And I believe in the power of power naps too... they work wonders for me. Aha! So, we get to see the tree hugger in action today. Love your serene and peaceful expression, Elly ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great if you make a regular habit Shilpa which it sounds like you do: good for you! :) And I so admire and can relate actually to your ways of relaxing, albeit sometimes the writing of blog posts can be stressful if a time crunch and my life is busy... ;) I love the idea of power naps too! :) My expression was because of my love for trees: sending and receiving positive love energy! :) <3

      Delete
  4. I'm very good at doing nothing, if the opportunity presents itself. ☺ Not so good at the self-discipline required for things like regular exercise though. I'm definitely with you about needing to get outside more and reading more, too. Spending way too much time on the computer these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it's good for the body, mind, and soul to do nothing, just sit and maybe meditate. :) Yeah, maybe it's these blog challenges, eh? ;) <3

      Delete
  5. I just love your tree-hugging picture, Elly:-) If I choose freely- I like to write, go for walks in he nature, and just sit doing absolutely nothing:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eli. ;) Sounds like some great R&R ideas to me! :) <3

      Delete
  6. Totally agree! I like the tree hugging photo! I like 'me time' and usually spend it with my plants or reading or doing nothing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments. :) Quality "me time" is great especially with nature including plants, though reading and doing nothing are great too: all restore the spirit/soul and body too! ;) <3

      Delete
  7. Yeah you are quite right... have to try out relaxation techniques!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahana, you may wish to try meditation of which there are many forms including walking, even dancing: both can be relaxing! :) See my 'D' post on April 4th: http://xpressyouressence.blogspot.ca/2015/04/a-to-z-challenge-d-is-for-dancing.html ;) <3

      Delete
  8. Without me time,mi would end up cranky and lose my mind in no time. You look so blissful with nature <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is a great reason to have me time Aathira! So we don't get cranky and lose our mind! ;) And yes, I adore trees! <3

      Delete
  9. love the pictures. I make sure I spend time with myself else I become very cranky :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Raj. :) That is great that you are aware you need some down time as 'me' time by yourself. Introverts generally need some quiet time in order to recharge and there is NOTHING wrong with being an introvert! ;) <3.

      Delete
  10. Nice pics and even lovelier post. Having time off and personal time is very vital for our well-being and to help replenish our energy. Thanks for sharing ! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :) Yes, for sure in terms of re-energizing us! Thanks for your comments. :) <3

      Delete