Wednesday, April 15, 2015

#A to Z Challenge: M is for Music


Today's 'heart things, heart strings' theme for the letter M in the A to Z challenge is Music.

I saw this sign on a major street in downtown Toronto, Ontario, Canada many years ago and have always remembered it: "Music is heard with the ears, but felt with the heart." Now isn't that true?! ;)

I have always been sensitive to music as it moved me deeply. I also used to listen to the radio for hours recording music, especially dance music. As the years went by, I progressed to listening primarily to instrumental and choral music.

As you know, music can uplift one's spirits through inspiring music and conversely can also heal therapeutically as in music with sad tones that might aid in the grieving process.

This can be a part of music therapy. A definition that comes from wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_therapy) is as follows,
Music therapy is an allied health profession and one of the expressive therapies, consisting of a process in which a music therapist uses music and all of its facets - physical, emotional, mental, social, aesthetic, and spiritual - to help clients improve their physical and mental health.
.In particular,
Music therapists primarily help clients improve their health in several domains, such as cognitive functioning, motor skills, emotional development, social skills, and quality of life, by using music experiences such as free improvisation, singing, and listening to, discussing, and moving to music to achieve treatment goals.
As you know, music can uplift one's spirits through inspiring music and can also heal therapeutically as with music with sad tones that might aid in the grieving process for example.

Has music helped you heal and if so, in what way? What genres of music do you love or prefer?

18 comments:

  1. Music is the universal language of mankind! It with it's power heals and soothes, always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it certainly is Shilpa! And yes, it does heal and soothe too! :) <3

      Delete
  2. Music = life! ♥♫♫
    It's my therapy, my drug of choice, my passion. Without music there is no life! You get the gist...☺
    Rock is my favourite genre, especially classic rock, blues rock, psychedelic rock, hard rock and also melodic metal. That said, I also enjoy most other genres to some degree, except hardcore country, bluegrass, heavy percussive jazz, rap, electronica and bubble-gum pop.
    Hard rock and metal work wonders as scream therapy when I'm at the breaking point. Cranked up as loud as possible. Great release!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Music is certainly a great therapy and 'drug' of choice Debbie! ;) And I understand regarding the 'scream therapy' as I use Enigma for 'anger therapy!' ;) <3

      Delete
  3. We did the same word again, though with totally different takes! Great post - and I totally agree with Debbie's "Music - life" sentiment! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds think alike Laurel! ;) Yes, music does equal life for sure! :) <3

      Delete
  4. I did Music, too. Great minds think alike! Love your take on it, Elly. Isn't music the best? It soothes, entertains, and uplifts like nothing else. I enjoy listening to it and performing it. Both have their special ways of filling my soul with joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another great mind thinks alike! ;) Yes, it certainly does entertain as well. Great that you sing in a choir too! :) <3

      Delete
  5. Elly I am sorry for not commenting in the last few weeksMusic is aHENNA for the soul
    Very nice post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries Usha. :) Yes, a great analogy! Thanks! :) <3

      Delete
  6. Music relaxes my frazzled nerves and is the answer to pep me up in any situation. I agree, it sure is therapeutic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Music sure has a way of doing that doesn't it, on either side of the teeter totter: relaxing and energizing! ;) <3

      Delete
  7. Oh, so very true! Music is therapy to me, esp when heart-broken :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can certainly understand that! It has for times for me too! ;) <3

      Delete
  8. music is absolutely therapeutic. It uplifts my mood too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it certainly is or can be, depending on the music! ;) <3

      Delete