Monday, April 6, 2015

#A to Z Challenge: E is for ... Emotions!


Today's 'heart things, heart strings' theme for the letter E in the A to Z challenge is not Euphoric or Euphoria as originally planned, but Emotions!

E is a most excellent letter, not because it is the beginning of my Dutch and original birth names, but think of all these wonderful words: enthusiasm, excel, excellent, exhuberant, etc. This is why I originally picked the word euphoria to capture the letter E for today. However, emotions came to me and I sense that is the right word to explore today.

But before I do, did you know that the word enthusiasm means "possessed by a God" or "inspired by a God" or simply "the God inside." I understood it to mean "with God." Regardless, it is a divine word (pardon the pun), isn't it?

Speaking of emotions, there seems to be a lot of confusion between that word and feelings isn't there? Simply put, I think of emotions as energy in motion - think e-motion or emote, to express emotion. However, I had to look it up to differentiate between the two.

Since there seems to be some possible contradictions and confusion, I have opted for a search on the meaning: Google's definition is as follows: Emotion is "a natural instinctive state of mind deriving from one's circumstances, mood, or relationships with others." Is that clear (enough)?

There are also different beliefs about the number of basic emotions - take your pick - four, fix, or six. Four would be happiness, sadness, fear, and anger. Five may include fear, love, sadness, anger, and joy. The six basic emotions (according to some) are happiness, sadness, anger, fear, surprise, and disgust. (I find it interesting that happiness and joy are both under emotion.)

Karla McLaren, social science researcher, has this to say: "An emotion is a physiological experience (or state of awareness) that gives you information about the world...."

Another source defines emotions as follows:
"Emotions are chemicals released in response to our interpretation of a specific trigger. It takes our brains about 1/4 second to identify the trigger, and about another 1/4 second to produce the chemicals. By the way, emotion chemicals are released throughout our bodies, not just in our brains, and they form a kind of feedback loop between our brains and bodies. They last for about six seconds."
This reminds me of the movie "What the Bleep do we Know!? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_the_Bleep_Do_We_Know!%3F) which I think illustrates the concept of emotions extremely well; however, I saw it years ago and is not so fresh in my mind!

It is important that we express our emotions safely and as best we can as emotions affect our health, including our heart. The heart either expands or constricts metaphorically.

Think of expressions such as a person "dying of a broken heart" or "down in the dumps" or the like. As time goes on, emotions stick to us so-to-speak and become disguised as illnesses and the like. There is proof of this; however, you won't find it in mainstream society.

Do you have a tendency toward one or two primary emotions than others in terms of being?

P.S. Photo of me by Roberto Kaplan. I forgot to mention yesterday that Sufi whirling dervishes dance to a meditative state.

21 comments:

  1. My favourite emotion is happiness, just like most of us, although I do enjoy an occasional tear jerking session to lighten myself. Loved the color of your eyes in this picture :) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to change the question Vinnie as a number of responses misunderstood it: most people, of course, would choose happiness. It was meant to be if you were prone to one or two emotions in particular. ;) My eyes change colour depending in part on what I wear, they go from light blue to turquoise to teal! ;) <3

      Delete
  2. My favorite emotion has to be happiness. Don't we all want that to be our eternal state of mind?
    Btw, I was not aware that enthusiasm is used in a divine context. Thanks for sharing.
    *Shantala @ ShanayaTales*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we all desire and strive for happiness. However, my question was misconstrued. I meant to ask if you as a reader tended towards one or two emotions in particular, in terms of being. ;) <3

      Delete
  3. My fav emotion I would say is anything that flows spontaneously :D Thanks for sharing Elly! Good to see you participating in the challenge! :) Best Wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good answer; however, I didn't make myself clear in my questioning. I had meant if you as a reader were prone to a particular emotion or two. ;) <3

      Delete
  4. I'm a very emotional person which can sometimes be a nuisance but I know it's part of my artistic temperament and isn't going to change much. I must embrace it and celebrate it. It beats the heck out of being cold and having no emotion, that's for sure. Fun post about the emotions, Elly. I vote for happiness, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am like you in that regard Cathy. I wear my emotions on my sleeve it seems and mostly in my face! ;) My question actually was meant to ask readers if they experienced one or two emotions in particular. Sorry for the misunderstanding! ;) <3

      Delete
  5. I've never thought of having favourites in emotions. But if I was compelled to choose one it would be love. An interesting post. Nice pic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzy, my apologies as my question was aimed to ask the reader if they noticed displaying one or two emotions in particular generally speaking. Thanks for your comments. :) <3

      Delete
  6. I have a blog post in the back of my mind exploring the difference between happiness and joy. Some day I'll have to write that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be an interesting post to write about Laurel. Let me know if you do write it. Thanks! :) <3

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happiness and love are the ideal emotions, but we need the others ones to balance things out. People who don't know me often think I'm aloof and devoid of emotion, but that's Teutonic stoicism, I can be quite the quivering mess underneath, especially the last couple of years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure; however, my question was actually meant to ask my readers if they swayed in experiencing one or two emotions in particular. ;) I can understand what you are saying as I wonder that about myself as well. :) <3

      Delete
    2. I just turned 60, Elly, so have experienced the gamut of emotions over the years. At this stage, I'm doing my best to embrace a hedonistic lifestyle and pursue happiness. One of my greatest joys was fulfilling a lifelong dream to tour Greece, which happened in 2013 in celebration of another great joy - our 40th wedding anniversary. ☺

      Delete
    3. Sounds wonderful and congrats on both parts Debbie :) <3

      Delete
  9. Being in love.. with a person or thing or just life is my favourite emotion. It brings the best in me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome Raj. :) However, my question was actually about if you, the reader, swayed towards experiencing one or more emotions. ;) <3

      Delete
  10. Joy and happiness are THE emotions for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they are for most people; however, my question was meant to be in regards to what primary emotions you express the most! Didn't make that clear! ;) <3

      Delete