Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Writer's Block: Not?


Today's NaBloPoMo prompt asks, "Have you ever had extended writer's block? How long did it last? What did you do to break out of it, and do you have tips for other bloggers?"

I did experience a bit of a writer’s block that lasted a short period, less than two months and maybe even less than that. From almost mid-November 2010 to almost mid-January in 2011. I actually wrote a post on that, appropriately entitled, "Lost ... and Found."

It was an extremely busy time for me as, at that time, I was searching for a place to live on my own (having moved from a house with roommates) and everything that was associated with that, including moving boxes and stuff from storage, downsizing including donating and selling stuff, and the actual process of moving. On top of that was the Christmas season filled with attending choir concerts, baking my family's traditional European cookie recipe, with my birthday following shortly thereafter.

This is an excerpt from the blog I referred to above:
I have an expression that I made up about myself to describe some of my passions: "If I don’t sing or dance, I’m either sick or depressed."

Similarly, I sometimes can't write. It’s usually a matter of being either really busy and/or not feeling inspired. My preference is to write ‘in the flow’ when words come intuitively to me (as they often do) or through my fingers when I type (or write). When they don't, I prefer not to write.

Unfortunately, not all my writing comes from Spirit, that state of natural flow and grace (though I wish of course! That would be ideal!). Though ideas for my posts flow for the most part, I usually have to 'work' at my writing when I force a deadline upon myself.

Acquiring writer's block (if you can call it that) was the other situation that took place. I was so excited and ready to post a blog, an inspirational piece entitled ‘A Tribute to My Parents.' Not only did the words flow easily and effortlessly across the page (that I know came from Spirit), but also did my tears flow. I really felt what I wrote at such a deep level as I was in an incredible state of deep gratitude to my parents.

Even though I was certain I had saved this writing piece somewhere in a computer file, I realized later that I actually hadn’t because I couldn’t find it anywhere (either on my home or work computer!). Now, how frustrating is that? Have you ever experienced that? If so, you understand what I’m talking about!

Well, since I didn’t feel like rewriting it because it wouldn’t be serving the original script justice, I’ll explain the essence of it and write about something else briefly.
For the full story, read my original post that had an essence of writer's block in it: http://xpressyouressence.blogspot.ca/2011/01/lost-and-found.html

Before and after this period, I generally wrote every two weeks with the odd exception of writing an additional weekly post or less frequently by missing a week. I purposely committed to writing biweekly as I felt once a week might be too much, at that time anyway. Now you can see why these daily blog writing challenges are a challenge for me! ;)

Have you ever experienced writer's block? If so, what did you do to get out of it?

I'm linking this to Ultra Blog Challenge.

18 comments:

  1. Generally I don't get 'writers block'. I don't participate in many contests and challenges, because if there is a dead line, I become very tense. I write two/three blogs, when I am in a mood and post them normally once a fortnight.
    BTW, I would love to read your tribute to your parents.;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great you don't Usha; however, that's what the writing prompts are for if you choose to use them. ;) I think though that whatever works for you is best, so glad it works for you! Yes, my tribute is long gone....perhaps another time. <3

      Delete
  2. I suffer from bouts of laziness or the urge to just spend my time reading rather than writing...It happens when life catches up you know...Kudos to you for posting daily..I have not done it this month... I just feel so fatigued ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I understand bouts of laziness and/or tiredness Nabanita, so no worries if you do not post daily. There is no "need to" or "must"...only those self-imposed in the end. I think it's great to read anyway as that can inspire new writing! ;) <3

      Delete
  3. Ah, glad you overcame it!

    I don't believe in writer's block Elly! :D I love to write. If I don't get to it, it is usually because of time constraints or offline stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually don't think I had it Vidya; however, like you, I too love to write and I think there is SO much to write about. Yes, time constraints can certainly dampen writing can't it? ;) <3

      Delete
  4. Not sure if it's writer's block... but I do suffer from time to time of indecision. I simply cannot make up my mind on what I want to write about. I will literally take days to decide. I keep notebooks next to my computer, where I write my ideas for upcoming posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if it is a form of writer's block; however, it's good that you keep notes for ideas Mary. Keep doing whatever works for you! :) <3

      Delete
  5. Like Naba, I too suffer from laziness or lack of inspiration. Specially when it comes to writing poetry. But Since I maintain three blogs, I guess I never let writer's block flourish :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, but who said you 'have to' write poetry?! ;) That's one great idea Raj to have different blocks so you never suffer from writer's block. I'll keep that in mind! ;) <3

      Delete
  6. Writer's block is sure to hit at some stage. How could a person stay inspired every day? That piece you wrote about your parents must have come from deep down. I know that feeling. Yet, often readers don't appreciate the effort or emotion your writing took out of you. I must admit, I can't remember a time when I didn't feel like writing, although yesterday, I didn't attend to the screen while I waited for my husband to return from hospital. I knew I needed to be strong emotionally for him, so I prayed and dozed. Giving love and support is much more important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it certainly can from time to time given life's commitments etc., though on the other hand, there is a wealth of information and inspiration to draw from. ;) I think readers can sense the effort of a writing if it is personal/emotional. And definitely attending to life in person is much more important, especially where others are concerned. Thanks for sharing Francene. :) <3

      Delete
  7. Writing has soothed me.. I write when am down in dumps but Icannot write when I hv too many unpleasent butterflies in my stomach tht will not go away

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great that you know and experience that Mina. Writing can certainly be a form of healing as it sounds like it is for you. You could challenge yourself to write when feelings of unpleasantness come to you...see what happens. You might be surprised! ;) <3

      Delete
  8. I thought I experienced writer's block when I was not writing. But turns out that was just me not writing. After participating in last month's Ultra blog challenge, I now know it is just an excuse. I agree somedays we won't be at our best. But it is there hidden. All you have to do is keep calm and look for it.
    Your writings are awesome Elly. Giving me something to think and write about. I will be coming back to read your old posts soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there is a fine line isn't it Vinitha, and I think that is what happened to me. It comes in the disguise of writer's block, but isn't. Thanks for reading - and enjoying - my blog posts. I appreciate your words. :) <3

      Delete
  9. Inspired by your post, I blogged on my experience with the writer's block. Here it is if you would like to read: https://vinithadileep.wordpress.com/2014/11/13/writers-block-have-you-been-there/ :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how exciting that I inspired you Vinitha! Isn't what we ideally want for our readers? I will surely take a look, though later when I have some more time. ;) <3

      Delete