Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Writing when Emotional? Not!


Photos by Roberto Kaplan

On a Write Tribe blog prompt, "November Challenges and Motivation" right at the end of the post was a link to a non-fiction writer's blog, Ollin Morales. He posted "10 Tricks To Motivate Yourself To Write–Right NOW" on his blog, Courage to Create (http://ollinmorales.wordpress.com/2011/09/02/motivation-2/).

Point #7 especially appealed to me: Work Through Emotions (bolding below is mine for emphasis):
When we are highly emotional or under a lot stress these are the most challenging moments to get motivated to write. After all, if our boyfriend or girlfriend doesn’t love us, or our parents are judging us, or our boss hates us, how can we possibly feel good enough about ourselves to do what we love to do?

Now, generally writers and other artists get their greatest inspiration from their pain and anguish, so in those cases making the art is easy. But that’s not the situation I’m talking about. I’m talking about when what you are planning to write either is not congruent with your emotions or the emotion acts as a wall to your creativity.

To work through these emotions, first write all of your emotions down. Just listen to what your mind is ranting about and write it all down, let it all out, everything. If you’re writing it on your laptop then as soon as you’re done, trash that document. If you wrote it on a piece of paper, throw that paper away or burn it if you’re into dramatic displays.

For the moment at least, you’ll wash away that emotion and you should be able to move forward with your work.
My apologies for this lengthy copying of (blog) text above; however (1) it is a late hour and I require a post today and (2) it encapsulates a blogger’s question and ensuing comments from supportive 'tribe' bloggers that inspired me to expand on this, today as she is planning to post an emotional piece tomorrow.

Writer's block is a common phenomenon and feeling particularly emotional can at times stifle creativity. It can also make for some rather incongruent writing in which you and most likely your readers will experience.

I believe I experienced this recently or at least I think I did! Since the beginning of this month, I feel like I have been feeling somewhat uninspired to write which is unusual. This could be attributed to physical pain which makes me emotional - grumpy and/or sad at times - and makes it challenging to focus at times. And I know there is one post recently that I wrote where I felt my heart wasn't into it and the emotions seemed lacking and incongruous to the post though I can't seem to find it.

Perhaps being a passionate, i.e., emotional person, Ollin’s blog post really appealed to me. However, do I heed his advice? I admit rarely, the odd time though not often enough. I say that because I stop myself, usually putting other things, namely work as a priority, and myself last. I do this often.

And so by the time I have the time, say during a break to pour out my heart in written (or typed) words, the immediate emotional intensity and its accompanying thoughts and feelings are gone: vanished! Or liquefied at least. It seems hardly worthwhile after that to write. The emotional anguish, pain, intensity that I experienced now seems or is superfluous. (I didn’t think so except that word came to me intuitively right now as I’m typing this, so I trust that. And yes, it could work here actually!)

For example, there was a title that came to mind in an incident that made me get rather upset about two weeks ago, "Plastic Faces, Plastic Voices" or was it the reverse "Plastic Voices, Plastic Faces?" Though I really do wish I had expressed it, released the angst I felt at the time by writing about it (in the form of a poem, prose or otherwise), by the time I put me at the forefront to do so, it hardly mattered. In fact, I couldn’t even be bothered. I neither had the interest – not as much as it had waned – nor the time. And in a way, that was just as much or perhaps even more frustrating!

Do any of you experience this? If so, what do you do and/or how do you handle the situation? How do you (best) express your emotional pain/anger/angst/frustration?

I am linking this to NaBloPoMo and Write Tribe Bloggers.

15 comments:

  1. I agree with your points Elly. I too write my heart out and my posts frequently comprises of my emotions. It is the best way for me. This is why people like my posts and I'm keen on following the same in the future as well. Nothing can be as original as written down from your heart. It fuses a soul into your writing and makes it beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anmol. I think it is ideal though not always necessary to write from that place, though it does change the style and texture of the writing. (See the last two sentences of my profile on the right of my blog site.) However, as you say, readers can identify with you more so. And even if they're pieces of fiction! ;)

      Delete
  2. Blogging in a sense is a cleansing of the soul. That's why writing with your emotions is good for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Marie, it certainly be and act as an emotional and cathartic release which is one reason why I enjoy writing, albeit I do not always write from that place. ;) <3

      Delete
  3. I am an artist so I have to get my frustration out.. it usually leads to amazing projects. I've created music and even launched a business because I had to use that energy. Literally... I relaunched Soul Kisses TV because I needed something to save me from my heart break. Where there is pain there will be a rebirth or a resurrection. Every time :) I always use my pain or anguish... always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize being an artist equates to frustrations as I think everyone has them; however, I understand what you are saying. It is indeed a great way to express and release. And I'm not surprised that it creates your 'amazing projects' such as those you mention. Yes, there is always a death and a rebirth in creation. A great process to use to fuel you. Thanks for sharing Tamala! :) <3

      Delete
  4. When an outside influence is dragging at my spontaneity, I plough through and keep writing. It's like I used to do when I was working and suffering pain. I'd say to myself, 'Get through this' and I'd carry on. The activity would take my mind off the discomfort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment Francene reminds me of Julia Cameron's advice in her book, The Arist's Way to write morning pages. Get all the 'crap' (nonsense) out to get to the clearer/better writing!! Sometimes doing other things to distract us from pain like writing can help. I think it has for me too recently! ;) <3

      Delete
  5. As a public speaker, the way I capture an audience is with passion. Without passion, you lose your audience. To me, writing is the same. People connect much easier with emotion. You made some good points.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure Carol, how true passion is the fuel that inspires others...and yourself, including writing! ;) <3

      Delete
  6. Thank you for this post! Yes, it helps.. ofcourse it does :)
    And as KnottyMarie has mentioned - its a cleansing.. and I'm glad I read this before putting up my post.
    Thank you Elly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, writing can be so therapeutic can't it Pixie? I'm glad that you find it so too: I like how you describe that as a 'cleansing.' And I'm glad it helped you before posting. ;) <3

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really interesting, Elly. I am very sensitive to such situations. Perhaps
    you might recall a blog i wrote recently along the same lines "To be a
    writer refined...1"! I am not good at venting out emotions, so i do what
    you adviced me too. Write about the block in whatever form it comes out,
    and as i said separate the writer in me from my being and persuade her to
    write what she wanted to :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Asma, there is no right or wrong in this situation. You need to do what's right and best for YOU! Some writers don't mind or prefer to vent out openly, others through a journal or through talk therapy, etc. And writing about the block that hinders you from 'venting' may be just as good a tool to help you release and/or get connected emotionally...again, use whatever works for you, though I'm glad my suggestion worked for you. ;) <3

      Delete