Friday, November 28, 2014

TV and Non-fiction Bloggers


Picture from clipart

The writing prompt for NaBloPoMo today is, "If you could be a cast member on any television show, which one would it be? Tell us about your character."

I admit, I haven't watched TV for a long time, except a few movies two Christmas seasons ago. I actually am not sure if I know how to operate the fancy gizmo black box that accompanies it!

And when I turned on the channel station, I was flabbergasted: how many channels?! Whoa, no wonder ADHD is on the rise! Ok, just kidding, but seriously, why THAT many?! That's crazy!

When I was a little girl, I think we had started off with three channels and of course that grew over time.

My favourite show as a child was Walt Disney on Sunday evenings often featuring Jodi Foster as the primary actor on a lot of shows.

Especially as a youngster, I did watch tons of cartoons and shows. Some of my favourites included Picket Fences, a brilliant drama based on controversial cases involving the town's sheriff and judge ending up in court. According to google search, "An aging sheriff tries to keep the peace in a small town plagued by bizarre and violent crimes." Read here for some of the issues they covered: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picket_Fences. I found it an excellent program to stimulate thinking.

I also enjoyed Ally McBeal, a legal comedy-drama TV series featuring love and infatuation relationships amongst lawyers. According to Wikipedia,
Ally McBeal is a young attorney who joins a prestigious law firm with a highly sexual environment and whose staff includes Ally's ex-boyfriend. The series contains fantasy sequences, flashbacks and voiceovers to reveal what Ally is really thinking. Many episodes contain an appearance by singer Vonda Shepard, who performed the show's theme song.
Interesting they didn't mention the unisex washroom! ;)

What I loved most were the special effects, animated and comedic in nature, as well as hearing Ally's thoughts. That show I considered my laughter therapy for the week.

Here are some of the characters dancing in the washroom pre-show to Barry White's deep and sexy voice - listen to the beginning when he talks: ;)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1-9vw8cUi8

And here is a video clip of Episode 1 with a taste of some special effects: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lJcvWfmItk

And then of course there were shows that I loved due to certain characters, ahem, had a crush on one of the main actors. For instance Noah Wyle in ER (short for Emergency Room) as follows:

And also Eric James McCormack in Lonesome Dove: The Outlaw Years and also some episodes of Will & Grace.
I think I would love to either be a patient seen by 'Dr. John Carter' (played by Noah Wyle) on a regular basis or be the love interest opposite 'Clay Mosby' (played by Eric McCormack's) antagonist character. ;) Ooh la la! ;) ;) (that deserves a double wink!)

On an aside, in my post Envy AND Kindness: What a Combo! - http://xpressyouressence.blogspot.ca/2014/11/envy-and-kindness-what-combo.html - I mentioned some of my favourite 'characters' online known as fiction blogging writers or the like (whatever they call themselves), whom I met through a few blogging challenges.

Now I would like to feature a number of non-fiction bloggers who are also extremely gifted and talented in their writings, in no particular order: Corinne Rodrigues, Vidya Sury, Usha Menon, Carol Graham, Amy Bovaird, Francene Stanley, Judy Yaron, Penny McDaniel, Rajlakshmi H. Boruah, and Asiya Fathima (aka Asma Feroes).

Perhaps one day I can be a 'cast member' on my non-fiction blogging friends' posts - I have so far at least on one! - or likewise on mine! ;)<3

20 comments:

  1. Picket Fences was such an underrated show.. as a kid, I loved it. That quirky town had some really intriguing cases, didn't it? :)
    Havent seen the show in years... thanks for reminding me of it.
    Ally Mc Beal was a law show of a different genre altogether :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you Rosha: I was surprised and shocked that that show got plugged. However, from a different perspective I can maybe understand why...some sensitive and controversial topics were explored... ;) Yes, Ally McBeal was a 'stupid' show per se; however, it provided me with laughter for the day or week! ;) <3

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed Ally McBeal and Remington Steele! I don't watch much now but I do like HOUSE and Castle and BONES, whenever I can catch them.
    Thanks for the mention Elly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Ally McBeal was fun though I'm not familiar with Remington Steele though I have a picture of a man with an athlete's physique - upper body - am I right? ;) Not familiar with the other shows too...as long as you enjoy them! :) <3

      Delete
  3. I loved watching Charmed as a kid...I wanted to be one of the Charmed sisters...And so many more there were re-runs of Silver Spoons or Blossom in the 90s and I loved watching them....Wanted to be Blossom and then further down the line I wanted to be Buffy from Buffy the Vampire Slayer :D

    Ally McBeal was awesome too, I liked it even as a kid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes, Charmed would be fun ..I can see that! Not familiar with the other shows but that's ok. ;) Ally was fun because of the special effects: they were pretty amazing! :) <3

      Delete
  4. Ally Mc Beal was fun. They are currently showing reruns of the show in India. Charmed, as Naba says, was a lovely show too! Sigh.. nostalgia lane. Thanks, Elly :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, fun special effects in Ally and a silly fun show too. ;) Glad you enjoyed the post bringing some hopefully fond memories! :) <3

      Delete
  5. So much fun dear Elly reminiscing favorite TV shows. I loved Picket Fences and Ally McBeal. I love having series marathons .... Thank you for the mention. You have one of the biggest and kindest hearts I have ever met. and you are very much loved for it Big BIG HUGS <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was fun thinking of them too and watching some of the clips online! ;) Yes, those two shows were great and fun, weren't they? I have to catch up on your posts...I thought you were taking a break! ;) And thanks for your kind words Judy: much appreciated...HUGS back! :) <3

      Delete
  6. These days i am hooked to Castle and big bang theory. These serials are really addictive. Thank you so much for the mention :) you always make my day :) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't heard of Castle and big bang theory, though I think any series or shows or TV for that matter can be addictive! ;) I'm glad I made your day Raj! ;) <3

      Delete
  7. I used to like Walt Disney as a child. I still like it(after all old age is second childhood).Thank you for mentioning my name.It is a very sweet gesture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Walt Disney was certainly a favourite as a youngster for me too, though I can understand about it being one as an elder in the prime of your life, i.e., in second childhood ... I like that! ;) ...and my pleasure Usha as I enjoy your writings, especially your haiku poetry as you seem such a natural at them! :) <3

      Delete
  8. I loved Ally McBeal. In fact I loved the other legal shows too like Boston public. Oh and Castle is a favourite too. I catch it when I can. Not being hooked onto the telly is such a wonderful thing - leaves you with lots of time. We tried to do that but within two days the husband had caved in though the kids and I were doing okay. Huge thanks for the mention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh glad to know that others like you loved Ally McBeal too: it means I'm not necessarily a 'twit' for loving it! LOL ;) Didn't watch any other legal shows though I imagine the court cases could be interesting. And haven't heard of Castle so curious about that one. ha...not being hooked onto TV leaves me with more time for sure, yet I am still so busy, perhaps even more busy! ;) ...and you're welcome for the mention Tulika. :) <3

      Delete
  9. Oooh, I think my tastes were a bit darker when I was a kid...Dark Shadows, The Addams Family, and Bewitched. Believe it or not, I never watched Ally McBeal (I know, I know, right?), but I did watch ER when George Clooney starred in it. When he left, I quit watching it.

    Thanks for the shout out, my friend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's ok...I loved the Addams Family, and Bewitched as well. ;) And it's ok that you jumped ship on Ally McBeal...I won't take offense. Besides, you can always watch the videos if you wanted to. I was more of a Noah Wyle fan on ER. ;) And my pleasure for mentioning you Penny. :) <3

      Delete
  10. oh thank you so much, Elly :) you are simply amazing to include me! bless your heart, dear...

    if i were to answer that prompt, I'd chose to be detective Alex from the british fiction series Bugs. :) I loved it as a teen and Alex was a karate expert and sweet radiant and chirpy young lady. she was so full of life and quite pretty as well (love interest of Detective Ed (played by Craig mcLachlan). Alex was played by Paula Hunt. have you watched it, dear?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Asma. :) Unfortunately, I am not familiar with that show/series at all, but it seems like you enjoyed it! ;) <3

      Delete