Sunday, November 2, 2014

Post-Halloween Photos...


Photo credit: Marion Kirk at Friday Night Live (FNL) at a community Halloween event at Lynn Valley United Church with AddLibretto improv group singing about my "toothless gap"

Some of you have discovered my love of Halloween, dressing up for it that is! You may have discovered this through my post two days ago, All Hallows' Eve AKA Hallowe'en 2014: http://xpressyouressence.blogspot.ca/2014/10/all-hallows-eve-aka-halloween-2014.html
My love for dressing up started when I was a young girl and put on my mother's shoes walking down a few steps - don't know how! - at home to greet my Mom with my newfound discovery. I have no recollection of what my mother said though I got the dress-up bug since that day I swear!

Sometimes, it takes only one thing for me to get an inspirational hit for a costume idea. And sometimes even, I know the year before what my Halloween costume will be the following year! ;)

I wish I had my photos all digitalized as I have some great costumes over the years, though they are in hard copy format. (I would need to learn how to convert them just as the Punjabi suit I mentioned the other day that some of you wanted to see as well. One day, hopefully soon.)

On October 30, 2011 I posted one of my favourite Halloween costumes: http://xpressyouressence.blogspot.ca/2011/10/safe-and-happy-halloween.html. This costume was inspired by my head, my lack of hair that is as ...well, read the blog post and find out! ;)

This year's costume originated from a toothless gap as I had a dead, i.e., infected front (bottom) tooth extracted about 1-1/2 years ago. I had never been a witch for Halloween and the thought came to me to dress up as one. I didn't last year though as someone else at work was going to be dressing up as one and I didn't want to take away from their costume, nor mine for that matter!

I knew that I didn’t want to be any old witch though: read 'old' as ‘traditional.' I wanted to be different. I wanted to stand out. I wanted to be an original!

My plan was to somehow modernize my look but I wasn't quite sure how. Whilst shopping at a local Salvation Army thrift store, I discovered this somewhat fancy-looking dress that appealed to me. In fact, I actually thought it looked rather pirate-like; however, I prefer to use clothing – I don’t sew – that is multipurpose in nature so I purchased it for a great price.

That was the beginning piece of my to-be-witch outfit. Then followed a velvet, feathered brimmed hat – classy, snazzy, dressy – that matched the velvet top of the dress. Then later, I found a pair of laced gloves that matched the laced front top of the dress as well as my fishnet stockings. A patent-looking pair of boots matched by a patent purse – I did say ‘modern’ witch after all, didn’t I? - that I already owned, along with my raindrop umbrella (instead of a broom) as it was raining after all, completed the picture.

Oh almost. Actually, my long black wig along with the green foundation makeup - are you familiar with Elphaba from 'Wicked' the musical? - that kept interfering with the wig or vice versa, and black lipped and eyed features finished the look for me. The fake nails were a disaster and would not stay on. I should have painted my own nails as I had grown them long, long enough to showcase my long, witch-like fingers. ;)

I was deliberating using my coloured, burgundy hair and it would have been okay, though with the style of dress and in particular the hat, the long hair seemed to be more appropriate.

In the end, I think I was more of a hybrid witch, a touch traditional and more modern with Elphaba as my muse, the supposed wicked witch of the West based on the The Wizard of Oz. (May 31, 2012 ....http://xpressyouressence.blogspot.ca/2012/05/defying-gravity-so-no-one-can-steal.html) Check out this video of Idina Menzel singing "Defying Gravity," https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=q3CQhEEP-fU, one of the key songs that I blogged about in part.

Just a note that wigs and all-over face makeup do not get along very well at all! Till next Halloween…

I'm linking this to NaBloPoMo, WriteTribeBloggers, and UltraBlogChallenge.

18 comments:

  1. Love your looks Elly...I always wanted to dress up like this, you know? But I have always been this shy kind of person in my teenage years...And it is only in my 20s that I feel so much more confident...Maybe soon I'll put on a costume too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nabanita. You always can, you know! ;) And like you, I used to be extremely shy too. A mask or costume can act as a persona though so it needn't matter. I hope you do dress up one day and if so, show me your costume(s)! ;) <3

      Delete
  2. How fun! and I love the look! Thanks for sharing your outfit with us :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie. I would think that you might dress up for Halloween....do you? And if so, I would love to see your costume too! ;) <3

      Delete
  3. Wow...people do go through a lot of effort for Halloween! Love the outfit even though it was trouble at times. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, some people do like me Sanch taking care of all the minute details. And it was fun, despite the troublesome nature of the wig and makeup at times. ;) <3

      Delete
  4. Omg! You do look like a real witch ;) Awesome creativity, I must say. Did you actually manage to find a green colored foundation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm glad my costume worked its magic then Vinodini! ;) I did indeed find green foundation makeup. Halloween is a big celebration here after all! <3

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed trick or treating as a kid, back in the days when it was safer. Since I've been an adult, I've never really participated in the holiday. But I must say, you did an amazing job to transform your appearance and play the part!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I too enjoyed trick or treating as a child though I think there wasn't necessarily any safer back then than now, only misconception portrayed by the media, though I could be wrong. And yes, I hardly recognized myself when I looked in the mirror with my makeup and wig! ;) <3

      Delete
  6. Your preparation for Halloween sounds so exciting. I totally loved your look. The dress too. Your choices are really cool :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is exciting and that's only a costume. I don't prepare pumpkins carving them into scary faces or the like. ;) Thanks Rajlakshmi. Glad you loved my look...I did too! ;) <3

      Delete
  7. Loved your costumes Elly! :)

    I give out candy and chocolates to the kids in my apartment complex and its fun to see them all dressed up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pixie. :) Yes, I think it's probably one of the main highlights of Halloween...to see what the children are dressed up in! ;) <3

      Delete
  8. Whoa! You went to such length and breadth for the perfect halloween
    costume? It does credit your efforts though. You make an amazing witch ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I generally do Asma! ;) It is one of my favourite things to do: "dressing up!" ;) More amazing with the toothless gap, don't you think? ;) <3

      Delete