Thursday, November 27, 2014

Forecasting my Foggy Bloggy Future


Photo of fog taken by me

NaBloPoMo's writing prompt today is, "Where do you see your blog in one year? Five years?"

So that means I have to look into a foggy future to forecast my blogging fortune does it? ;)

Okay seriously though, I can only speculate what might occur as life just loves to throw curve balls at times! Did you notice life's circumstances are never linear? ;)

A few years ago, on April 25th 2011 to be exact, or at least when I wrote a brief post entitled, Blogging Switch, http://www.xpressyouressence.blogspot.ca/2011/04/blogging-switch.html, I was considering some changes to my blog.

I had considered changing my blog name from 'Xpress Your Essence' (as 'Express'... was taken) though I was fine with that. At the time, I was playing around with the terms 'express' or 'expression' or 'expressive' for two main reasons: I had graduated from an Expressive Arts Therapy program and love and appreciate the expressive arts, and self-expression is important to me. I think it is for everyone, though may be unbeknownst to various people.

Another possibility I was thinking about at the time was changing my blog site, i.e., from Blogspot (now called Blogger?). Readers, please note that I would love your feedback on this, i.e., those of you who have transferred from Blogspot (or Blogger) to WordPress in particular, and if not, then those who use WordPress or another favourable blogging site. Please keep your comments succinct, perhaps in point form if need be.

Contemplating a different possibility would be a second blog; however, there are pros and cons to this (as with everything in life). ;) For example, one post could be targeted towards my vision (what I used to call 'dream') and anything related to that such as music and similar forms of expression. The other might be a mishmash of topics such as this blog has become.

I may consider a different path, though I enjoy blogging - I had at one point declared that I wanted to be a professional blogger, when I learned what it entailed, I had a slight change of heart. Read Me? Professional Blogger? And You? for details: http://www.xpressyouressence.blogspot.ca/2014/11/todays-post-is-nablopomo-prompt-with.html

However, for the reasons listed in Talented Thursday: Blogging AND...?!, I write about my juggling acts, or rather responsibilities: http://www.xpressyouressence.blogspot.ca/2014/09/talented-thursday-blogging-and.html...that, well, keep me busy and not necessarily able to post every day ad infinitum! ;)

However, I would love to enjoy the success that fellow blogger Roshan Radhakrishnan experienced. Did he blog daily? I would have to check! ;) However, he stuck at blogging for seven years before he published a few stories and that increased over time.

Godyears, the name of his blog features a post written a few days ago on Year 10 - Happiness is the Path: http://www.godyears.net/2014/11/year-10-happiness-is-path.html

I think he could teach me and others a few tricks or rather tips about blogging. Perhaps I can ask or interview him (if he will allow me the opportunity) so I can pick his brain if I am to keep at this.

On the other hand, I may end up writing a which will take time. One, I have already written - a young children's storybook - and I am looking for either a hybrid publisher or to self-publish it. Another book or two I have yet to write. See Books inside Me? at http://www.xpressyouressence.blogspot.ca/2014/11/books-inside-me.html.

These are some ideas that are floating around in my mind right now. Which actions I will pursue and take within one year and five years...well, time will tell. I'll let you know how things go as best I can, or else you will find out for yourself. ;)

However, I am open to ideas and suggestions. Feel free to let me know; however, again keep as succinct as possible. Those of you whom I know, feel free to FB me. Thanks kindly! ;)

22 comments:

  1. I started my blogging journey from Blogger too and moved to self hosted Wordpress blog. I think, it's best to start with Blogger for it is simple and easy to use interface and it was a boon for a tech-challenged person like me.
    I think Roshan can share a lot from his decade long successful blogging journey. Do ask him, knowing him, I am sure, he'd be happy to answer all the queries and share his experiences too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing that info and tip Shilpa. I appreciate it and will certainly check with Roshan. :) <3

      Delete
  2. I'm still with blogger...Right now contemplating if I should move to self hosted.... Not sure... I guess it will happen when it has too...About whether you should switch to wordpress, I think you could but only if you want to go for self hosted.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, now I'm curious about what the difference is: what does it mean or imply to be self-hosted. Thanks for sharing Naba. :) <3

      Delete
  3. I would still be blogging about my crazy life. And crazy ways :) Roshan is indeed a wonderful blogger. Inspiration to many bloggers like me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Raj: I will have to check Roshan's blog out in detail. :) <3

      Delete
  4. As Shilpa says above, Roshan is a sweetheart and will gladly answer any queries you have :) I have a blogger blog and a Wordpress blog. Again, Blogger is easier to navigate for most of us. Wordpress has some interesting features though. I have not moved to self-hosted domains yet, so Roshan/Shilpa would be better equipped to answer that for you. But, as for what the future holds, heck, I will be glad to get up next week and pound out a post, if my arm holds up. I had grand dreams and now I take each day as it comes. That's what works for me. Find your groove, Elly and stay with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your response Shailaja. I will contact Roshan and look forward to connecting with his expertise. :) Thanks for the feedback re. finding my groove. :) <3

      Delete
  5. I started on Blogger and for two years completed the A to Z for one month. I enjoyed that so much that I switched to the free Weebly and made a blog for Year 2013 & another for 2014, during which I've blogged every day. However, as I'm a writer, this takes up too much time and doesn't result in novel sales. I'm wondering if it's a waste of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your reply Francene. I may message you personally with some questions I have about your comments. :) <3

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who doesn't have a clear picture of exactly where my blog will be in five years! I think that's part of the beauty of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it certainly can be Kristen! Why should we know or predict everything? We can't anyway! ;) <3

      Delete
  7. 1. Beautiful blog, impressive, but I switched from Blogger to WordPress and am much happier--more people not just Google users, not follow
    2. Where do I see my blog in 5 years? I hope I have enough followers to monetize it. In one year? I'm struggling to get readership now. What might be a 1 year plan may have to turn into a 5 year plan. My blog is also becoming a "mish mash of topics" .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your feedback Janice. I appreciate that very much. Yes, don't we all wish to make money from blogging/writing! ;) <3

      Delete
  8. I have been on Blogger since I started blogging in April of 2009. I have thought on and off about switching to the self-hosted WordPress. Right now, it seems like too much work but there is also an element of wanting to stay with the familiar. Alana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I share your thoughts about this Alana. Time will tell what I do. Thanks for sharing. :) <3

      Delete
  9. I am also still on blogspot and have debated for years whether to make the switch. Self-hosted, wordpress...what are the expenses, time requirements, and will technicalities be within my realm of experience? So much to think about and decide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You mean I have to worry about ALL that Carrie?! Oh dear. ;) <3

      Delete
  10. Thanks for the kind words, both on the blog and from fellow bloggers... I'd love to help in any way I can.
    I shifted over to a hosted site 2 years ago. I use the term 'shifted' very loosely mind you.. All I did was pay 10 dollars to Google from inside my blogspot settings and it did all the work over a period of 24 hrs. For me, there's virtually no change inside in settings, layout et al... If you are okay with blogspot style navigation, then there is really nothing easier..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm honoured to mention such an esteemed blogger as you Roshan! ;) Thanks for the info and your offer to help. I still plan to touch base with you re. this. :) <3

      Delete
  11. I started with blogspot and continuing with it. I find it quite all right and have no plans to shift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're happy with it Usha and it works for you, great. No reason to shift at all. I'm just asking, curious, wondering, and all that! ;) <3

      Delete