Monday, November 24, 2014

Favourite Headline/Blog Post Title?


Words: elitetrack.com

Today's NaBloPoMo prompt is, "What's your favorite headline/blog post title you've ever written? What was the hardest post to title?"

My apologies but I cannot only name one. You see, I have many as I get titles a lot intuitively. I will categorize some of my favourites below.

My favourites include some of my first blog posts titles in particular:

Call to Action which initiated my blog: http://xpressyouressence.blogspot.ca/2010/07/call-to-action.html.

And A Matter of Degrees as I thought it a perfect title - judge for yourself here at http://xpressyouressence.blogspot.ca/2010/08/matter-of-degrees.html - though a possible twist on the words as it can have a different interpretation. I certainly don't mind that, as that can intrigue a potential reader's interest, I think! Or at least, I hope so! Doesn't it? ;)

Continuing on the theme of my love of playing with words, I came up with this title for one of my posts, Part 1: To Write or 'Write' ... Right?: 0http://xpressyouressence.blogspot.ca/2011/05/write-or-write-right.html/.

However, I loved this one even more: how about A Rat's Tale...as it was a play on the word 'tail.' ;) Though in retrospect, it could have easily been called "Rats' Tales" as my post shared not one, but two stories of rats! ;)

Mulling over Mulled Wine was another word play title I came up with: http://xpressyouressence.blogspot.ca/2013/01/mulling-over-mulled-wine.html.

A mix of two musicals and a play on words was this post title, Defying Gravity so No One can Steal Your Rock ‘N Roll! - http://xpressyouressence.blogspot.ca/2012/05/defying-gravity-so-no-one-can-steal.html.

Picture from google search

I also like my tribute post titles such as A Tribute to David: Connection with a Stranger, the first one on my blog, or Touched by a Stranger, an indirect 'tribute' post if you can call it that - I think I can! ;) - http://xpressyouressence.blogspot.ca/2011/08/touched-by-stranger.html.

My favourite tribute blog title though was, An Angel in Boots: Tribute to a Life-Saving Hero: http://xpressyouressence.blogspot.ca/2014/01/an-angel-in-boots-tribute-to-life.html.

One of my favourite post titles (and posts) - perhaps my favourite? - was an easy one to title, Beauty in the DTES: http://xpressyouressence.blogspot.ca/2011/01/beauty-in-dtes.html. It also happened to feature the first of many posts (when my camera was working) with my photos on it (which I prefer and preferred doing).

Picture from clipart

I'm not sure if it was my hardest post to title, but I certainly think it was at least one of them: my very first blog post title! The reason being that (1) I was just starting my blog and wanted to make a good, or rather as best an impression as I could, and felt the title was important to convey the theme of the post and possibly the blog (at that time) as well, and (2) I was just attempting to play with the word 'sole' or more likely 'soul' but I just couldn't quite come up with a captivating title. I'm sure there was at least one, though I couldn't rack up my brain enough to come up with something clever/witty/amusing. ;)

Another challenging post to name due to the sensitive nature of it was Aftermath of an Almost Glorious Victory about the post-hockey game in Vancouver, BC: http://xpressyouressence.blogspot.ca/2011/06/aftermath-of-almost-glorious-victory.html. There are a lot of die-hard hockey fans here in Canada, including Vancouver, BC!

Which of the above do you most favour? Naming more than one is okay. ;) I would love to hear and also the reason(s) for it! Thanks! :)

12 comments:

  1. I really love to play with words that sound alike or contrarily, have opposite meanings. I liked your Rats Tales title and also the one about Mulling Over Mulled Wine (alliteration is great). My friend believes that my titles are way far out. For example, I was planning to name a column Whispering Wednesday. He couldn't stop laughing, even hours later. Titles do not seem to be my forte. However, I do love how my book title came together. Mobility Matters (noun and verb), Stepping Out in Faith (Literal and Figurative). That turned out well. Usually, my friend says no one gets my titles but me! I'm working on that skill and I definitely think I'm improving! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy...and I have yet other titles that I love, but too many to mention. As it was, I thought I had too many in this post! ;) I like those two titles too. ;) Similar to you, I came up with "Word-less Wednesday" featuring primarily a photo and a brief blurb, i.e., so less words on Wednesdays. I have since seen others with "Wordless Wednesday" as well. ;) I love your post titles Amy...I think you are a natural at them including Mobility Matters, and also Stepping Out in Faith. :) <3

      Delete
  2. Playing with words is fun and a sure way of getting some curious crowd

    PhenoMenon
    http://goo.gl/76WG0k

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is fun Pheno and hopefully a way to build curiousity! ;) <3

      Delete
  3. You really know how to use your words Ell :) I love the one "To Write or 'Write' ... Right?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nabanita. I sure do my best. ;) Yes, I like that title as well! :) <3

      Delete
  4. I spend more time on title than the actual post... sometimes it seems like an impossible to find a complimenting title.
    /Mulling over Mulled Wine// that's a nice word play
    //Defying Gravity so No One can Steal Your Rock ‘N Roll! - // I love the attitude in these words.:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's interesting Raj. Doesn't your blog post inspire a title naturally at times anyway? :) Yes, I thought the mulling-mulled one was fun too. And yes, that latter title does carry a lot of attitude doesn't it? ;) <3

      Delete
  5. Loved your titles Elly. You sure do know how to keep the reader get hooked on a post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vinitha. I do what I can to hook potential readers! ;) <3

      Delete
  6. Loved your titles.. I struggle with them.. the post or the story always comes first and then I spend hours thinking up a suitable title. more often than not , I take help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pixie. :) Sometimes it works for me that way too, where I write the post and then attempt to come up with a creative title and at times I struggle with it too! They don't all come to me easily, not yet anyway! ;) <3

      Delete