Wednesday, November 19, 2014

NaBloPoMo Prompt to Feed a Child: Universal Children's Day




Today's NaBloPoMo post is one I can answer in one short sentence to summarize this writing prompt's questions: "Are you the funny one in most groups? What kinds of things do you find funniest?"

Instead, I would much rather blog about Universal Children's Day which happens to be tomorrow.

I learned about International Children's Day years ago when I was studying a program at a local college, Children: Our Challenge based on a book with a similar name, Children: The Challenge by Rudolf Dreikurs. The course/program no longer exists; I believe it ended years ago too.

However, the point being that children are important. Just because they are smaller in size with developing brains doesn't make them less important. They count. They DO matter!

I love children, perhaps because I am an older version - at times when I feel comfortable and/or carefree, i.e., couldn't care less (what others think) - with a strong inner childlike nature. Now, do understand that there is a difference between childish and childlike, though indeed I can display the former just as well at times, when I get set in my ways, i.e., stubborn in my thinking! ;)

However, there is a more important issue that pulls at my heart strings and I hope tugs at yours to take action:

"The United Nations' (UN) Universal Children's Day, which was established in 1954, is celebrated on November 20 each year to promote international togetherness and awareness among children worldwide. UNICEF, the United Nations Children's Fund, promotes and coordinates this special day, which also works towards improving children's welfare." (http://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/un/universal-childrens-day)

And it is for that reason, that I post on the following -

"Tell us how you think we can eliminate classroom hunger. Imagine what India would be like if no child goes hungry and an entire generation is educated."

Taking a lesson - pardon the pun - from a local school board that runs a number of warm and healthy breakfasts, they have received healthy donations of money - possibly food too - in order to provide such a service. Breakfast can be fresh fruit such as bananas, yogurt, even pancakes, as well as a drink of juice or milk.

Quoting one of my Indian blogging friends who wrote about the subject, Vinodini Iyer:
When blogadda invited bloggers to make a difference in the lives of underprivileged children by writing a post that promised that bloggadda would feed a child, who is an Akshaya Patra beneficiary for an entire year, I couldn't help but do my teeny bit as a blogger for that one needy child I might be able to reach out to, by means of this post. The Akshaya Patra Foundation is a not-for-profit organisation headquartered in Bangalore, India. The organisation strives to fight issues like hunger and malnutrition in India. - See more at: http://vinodinii.blogspot.ca/#sthash.3RpL196H.dpuf.
We all require energy in the form of food to nourish and fuel our bodies: that includes the brain. That gives children the energy and stamina to learn and to do well in their studies.

Have you ever noticed, for example, how hungry you get when you study, hard? That is why! And what happens when you're hungry: are you able to concentrate? Likely not or not very well.

Now imagine a young child in class unable to concentrate or learn because their tummy is rumbling, they are SO hungry. To feed these children a nourishing meal is vital to their education. In India, the cost is only a few rupees that provides one square meal a day for a whole year. Imagine that?!

"For every blog post that is written for this cause, BlogAdda will sponsor meals for an Akshaya Patra beneficiary for an entire year, as a part of their Bloggers Social Responsibility." (http://blog.blogadda.com/2014/11/11/blog-to-feed-a-child-akshaya-patra-blogadda)

"The Akshaya Patra Foundation is the world's largest non-profit organisation. It is an Indian NGO providing the mid-day meal to 1.4 million children in every day." (http://www.akshayapatra.org/)

I am going to #BlogToFeedAChild with Akshaya Patra and BlogAdda. (See details at http://blog.blogadda.com/2014/11/11/blog-to-feed-a-child-akshaya-patra-blogadda).

P.S. My apologies for this hasty post but I am on a time crunch due to an unexpected factor (which is why in part I am using a number of quotes.)

11 comments:

  1. This is such a wonderful initiative Elly...And even in haste you have written something which is so important :) Children need to be taken care of and this the world really needs to take seriously

    You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Nabanita and how can one say 'no' to helping a child. :) Yes, they certainly do as they are our future leaders! :) <3

      Delete
  2. Really kind of you to post this Elly. I'm sure it would make at leat one child smile somewhere. It did make me smile for my mention ! Thank you so much. Hugs <3
    And hey, I'm a strong believer in being childlike as opposed to being childish. That's where we connect I guess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vinodini. :) I'm glad if I'm able to make two people smile at one time! ;) Good to meet/know another childlike person! :) That's what keeps us young at heart! ;) <3

      Delete
  3. Very glad to see you posting on this cause, Elly. Each of us can and should make a difference wherever we can. Thank you for this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shailaja. I actually thought I had nothing to say about it! ;) <3

      Delete
  4. A post for a noble cause!! Providing food to needy and hungry is a great gesture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it certainly is and I hope that everyone who can does their part. :) <3

      Delete
  5. How wonderful to see your post for this fabulous initiative, Elly! Truly appreciate your support. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, though I came up with a better idea that I still need to add. ;) <3

    ReplyDelete