Monday, September 15, 2014

100 Words: Write to Change the World


Prelude: I usually write what I know and this quote is the one that speaks to me loudest: "If you want to change the world, pick up your pen and write." - Martin Luther

"Inspired Elly" (photo by Roberto Kaplan)

I desire, no, I aim to change the world - I admit it - by the stroke of a pen or keyboard, by the words from my heart.

Congruent with my vision of scribing poems and songs - a form of rap or slam poetry perhaps - and more with children. Not just any words, but inspirational words. Words that come to me like...what?!...instant recognition, instant knowing. Like there is no doubt in my mind. It is clear. Crystal clear.

These kids’ lives will change, the world will change, one beat, one poem, one song, one heart at a time. :)

15 comments:

  1. In some small way, I echo that sentiment Elly. What is this world if we cannot change it by our efforts? And as a writer, we have the greatest power at our disposal, the power of words. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment Shailaja reminds me of a famous quote - you may know it - by Margaret Mead, "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." More power to us writers, individually AND as a group! ;) <3

      Delete
  2. Baby steps take us far... Like your thought Elly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes for sure Tulika. I need to start taking one baby step at a time! ;) <3

      Delete
  3. This is such a wonderful thought you know..What can be better than words that inspire children...? Beautifully done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nabanita! Well, the original thought didn't come from me actually. It came from 'Source' - inspiration/intuition, Spirit, God. That's why, in part, I refer to it as 'my vision.' ;) <3

      Delete
  4. Wow, such a lovely thought! Write to change the world! :) thanks, Elly... For sharing it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Asma, though that prompt came from the WriteTribe blogging community. Perhaps you wish to join it? ;) <3

      Delete
    2. Oh, I would love to! Tell me about it, Elly :)

      Delete
    3. Just google 'Write Tribe' or type www.writetribe.com and get in contact with Corinne, the organizer. Have fun! ;) <3

      Delete
  5. We writers have the capacity to bring about a change. "The pen is mightier than the sword"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, for sure Usha! I take it that is why you write, perhaps in part? ;) <3

      Delete
  6. Words are our might and pen our sword to win the battle. Superbly written, Elly:)

    http://vishalbheeroo.wordpress.com/2014/09/15/100-words-on-saturday-the-writing-dilemma/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed "the pen is mightier than the sword" as the expression goes or at least, us writers would like to think so! ;) Thanks Vishal. :) <3
      ReplyDelete

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete