Sunday, August 24, 2014

Part 1: Aftermath of a Brilliant Comic’s Death: Funnyman Robin Williams


Let me start off by saying that some of you may think that 'funnyman' is spelled incorrectly. I thought it was a compound word and checked in case it was two: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/funnyman clearly indicates its correct spelling and meaning: a man who is funny; especially a professional comedian.

There has been a lot of media articles and social media discussion in the aftermath of Robin William's suicidal death which you are most likely familiar with. Yes, I said those words: “death” and “suicide” (and in one sentence!) which generally speaking are words mostly avoided like the black plague (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Death) in today's society, at least in this part of the world in which I live. Why is that?

Some articles and reports have been rather personal from people who have experienced depression or concurrent disorder which is a mental health disability plus a substance abuse problem (namely alcohol and/or drugs). The latter has become known as a commonplace condition, more the norm than formerly believed, which Robin suffered from. See http://www.centralwestcdn.ca/about-concurrent-disorders#A for some examples, and if you scroll down (about 1/4 down the page) you will see varying stats for how common an occurrence this disorder is.

Now, I’m not a fan of labels; however, my purpose here is to inform and/or educate in part about depression and concurrent disorders.

What matters most is this: we – the general public – are talking about it more openly, if not in person, at least in general public behind our technological screens like Facebook since the news of Robin’s tragic demise. If anything, that is the seemingly good that has arisen from this bad event. (Even ‘good’ and ‘bad’ are labels, but I digress here.)

To draw an analogy – I hope you don’t mind – it reminds me of the ALS ice bucket challenge that has stormed America through social media. Anthony Carbajal, a young man who was diagnosed with ALS, a hereditary condition, created a video worth seeing. See below, though here is the link: http://www.upworthy.com/the-last-ice-bucket-challenge-you-need-to-see-and-you-really-should-see-it that I highly recommend viewing:



At the 3:15 to 3:30 time mark, an emotional Anthony remarks,
I hate talking about it. I really hate talking about it. That’s probably why nobody talks about it, because it’s so challenging to watch, it’s so challenging to see, to talk about, nobody wants to see a depressing person that’s dying, that has two to five years to live, they don’t want to talk about it, they don’t want to see their day ruined.”
How true is that of ALS and potentially (can be) with other issues such as depression or concurrent disorders or dementia or cancer or ...the list goes on, i.e., a host of other conditions?

Will he and others like him - with an ill-fated diagnosis - commit or want to commit suicide in the face of pain and/or impending death? See how rampant this issue is and/or can become?

This is why we need to be talking about these issues as everyday matters in everyday conversation like we do with the weather and whatnot.

Would you agree? Why or why not?

16 comments:

  1. You ask some very difficult questions. I think each individual is different and what is wrong for one may be right for another and vice versa. But talking about things openly is definitely a healthy attitude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you wholeheartedly Suzy...again, these are only my opinions...perhaps I should state that somewhere on my blog... :) <3

      Delete
  2. I agree, Elly! Discussing our conditions and problems openly is a very healthy attitude... Esp.when we have a ready listener, and help at hand. Sadly, in my part of the world all this takes the ugly turn of gossip and degradation. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely healthy to air these issues Suzy and Anonymous. I find that usually when one person speaks, there are usually countless more which is why it is important for discussion as understanding and acceptance may follow. People can agree to disagree, but preferably without 'violence' even in the form of gossip and degradation. Hope things work out. I am a 'ready ear' which is why I think in part I attract these people to me. <3

      Delete
  3. I think one of the reasons we avoid talking about difficult issues such as mental health, cancer or other life-changing or limiting medical condition is that deep-down we just don't want to know; we prefer to pretend such problems don't exist - or if they do, they are as distant from our everyday lives as another galaxy. I am not being judgmental here (I am as guilty of this as many other people), just stating what I believe is a fact. If we talk about difficult issues, many of us subconsciously fear that somehow we can 'jinx' our fate and attract misfortune - and no-one would want to do that. Having said all that - you are absolutely right, Elly. We should at least try to face to the fact that reality is not perfect and there is a lot of suffering around us. Yes, these are very difficult conversations, but only through talking about difficult issues we can promote awareness of them and perhaps do something to reduce their impact, if only a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said Beata! I appreciate your feedback comments. :) <3

      Delete
  4. While these situations can be difficult conversations for some, it's important to process and talk about it either with a trusted friend, a professional, or with a support group. This is what gets us through it if we open ourselves up to it. Like Beata said, some people may subconsciously fear attracting the illnesses of the afflicted should they interact with them. Or maybe it's such a reminder of their own mortality that they'd rather fear it instead of face it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My apologies as I thought I responded to your post earlier. It certainly is important to process. Talking it out certainly can help and is one way, and there are other ways too of course, though possibly as an addition: the creative and expressive arts can be another whether through writing or psychodrama for example. And yes Penny, some people may subconsciously believe that they will take on another person's ill-conceived condition or worse. <3

      Delete
  5. I agree, its a lot to do with people suppressing their emotions. Specifically, anger and sorrow. A free expression in moderation can save you a lot of trauma. Sharing it with someone close might help.
    But then one can't speak on behalf of someone...only the person who has gone through the situation can explain why he chose to end his life.
    Thought provoking post Elly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for saying that Vinodini 'cause I have discovered that too. In fact, they say that depression is anger turned inwards. Whether true or not, I can tell from my own experience and others (thinking of one expert here in particular) who say the same. And that is WHY self-expression, whether through talking it out and/or writing is important: it is therapeutic as it is healing.

      Yes, as you say, ultimately no one knows the other person's reasons or thinking about wanting to 'end it all' in taking their own life. I have my own theories/thoughts about that as I have pondered that too many times to mention in my life. I have written various blog postings about this - "Taboo Topic" - on Feb. 9 and 23, 2014 (the latter, my 100th posting) as well as my "In a Funk" series starting July 21, 2013. (I have related postings in draft form.) ;) <3

      Delete
  6. An aside comment here. After reading a FB posting about the truth behind the ALS Foundation, please do your research: that is all I am saying as I do not know who/what is true in this case. I am not responsible for any decisions/actions you take; hold yourself accountable.

    I have discovered through my work that it is always a good question to ask: who is/are the funders? The information may be biased/twisted/skewed, etc. Really important to know. That is all I can truly say in this moment. <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm grateful for social media where such issues can be discussed openly and without shame. There is always a downside to everything, but I do believe that all the good that comes out of sharing and airing on social media far outweighs the negative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes definitely Corinne, I couldn't agree more. Thanks for sharing! :) <3

      Delete
  8. A very thought provoking article Elly. I think the main problem is that people are scared to discuss such conditions/situations openly. It could be due to various reasons - but one main reason is non-receptive listeners who do not want to believe that such problems exist. But like most of us agree - it is important to open up and talk about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your compliment. Yes, for some reason people have a challenge to believe that this could happen to them I suppose. Thanks for sharing Dee.

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete