Friday, January 10, 2014

Celebrations! of the Miraculous Kind


As the popular 1980 “Celebration” disco tune by Kool & the Gang goes, “Celebrate, good times. Come on." Actually that was one of my favourite and fun dancing songs! And that’s just what I'll do: celebrate, have fun, and dance!

One reason for me to do so is that I decluttered. Well, at least one layer of part of my home. I started this during the holiday season whilst off on ‘vacation.’

However, I have another reason to celebrate: my birthday!

You see it is my birthday and I discovered a few months ago that I don’t celebrate much - actually enough - in life. I also learned it’s actually a great idea or rather important to do so, spiritually speaking. (If you are familiar with the law of attraction, you will understand what I mean.)

As I alluded to in a previous posting (In a Funk: Blue since Birth?! dated August 25, 2013), I am a miracle baby (though my twin sister died).

I was born two months prematurely and at that time - in those days - the mortality rate for premature babies was relatively high. (I could perhaps ask one of the Neonatologists whom I worked for in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at The Hospital for Sick Children; however, I won’t go that far.)

Nowadays there are even more miraculous births. In spring of 2006, “one of the world’s smallest surviving preemies” (according to the Vancouver Sun), Amillia Taylor was born at 19 weeks weighing “just 283 grams” – a little over ½ a pound (or almost 10 ounces)! – and “measured 24 centimetres – under 10 inches – with skin so fragile and translucent her blood vessels could be seen beneath.” Yet she is not only a 'survivor' (as I call myself at times), but also a 'thriver.'



Amillia was in the NICU (neonatal intensive care unit) for four months. Watch the video below, in particular from the 2:06 or 2:10 mark. It gave me shivers (in part with the music of Kenny G, I believe, in the background).

WOW! Isn't life so amazing, fragile, and precious?

I am SO grateful to have my senses and the use of my limbs and digits with ease and grace. And I am so lucky to be alive ... and be me (or should that be "lucky to be me … and alive!"). ;)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this story. My daughter was a couple months early as well. You probably read her story on my blog. Thank you for sharing the one about Amilia. So precious.

    ReplyDelete