Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Wordy Wednesday: The world is a small place

Today's prompt is attributed to B-A-R (Blog-A-Rhythm) member, writer, and blogger Usha Menon nicknamed 'eccentric grandmum'.

Her blog, 'Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha' (http://eccentricgrandmum.blogspot.ca/) means 'Some sour some sweet' as life is like that, certainly not always a bed of roses!

Usha is retired and loves to write and does so daily if she can, otherwise almost daily (http://eccentricgrandmum.blogspot.ca/).

She has participated in a number of blog challenges and has won a number of awards, including 'Best Blog of 2013' - that's quite an accomplishment!

Sometimes, or do I imagine this, she pokes fun at herself in her writings. However, with compassion, sincerity, and warmth - at times humour too - Usha writes a combination of fiction in the form of stories and non in the form of poetry, primarily haiku, a very short form of Japanese poetry (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haiku).

I am always amazed at her writing of haiku: I think Usha is a natural! It seems to just roll off her tongue, er I mean off the tip of her pen, or rather computer keyboard. Oftentimes, you will notice several of her haiku in one post!

I hope you enjoy reading her posts, haiku and all! If you do, please bless her writing with a comment. It only takes a moment and she not only deserves it, she will also surely appreciate it.

I could challenge myself in writing fiction about this, but I change my mind.

**************************************************************************************
I have had many small world experiences, especially since moving from Toronto, Ontario to Vancouver, British Columbia years ago.

One instance stands out for me in particular as follows (written to the best of my recollection):

Not too long after moving here that rather tickled my funny bone was an ad I saw in a local newspaper. I can't recall the heading nor the ad for that matter though it had something to do with friendship or dating.

Believe me or not, I actually KNEW immediately who it was when I read it: no kidding!

With playful humour, I responded somewhat coyly with no clues as to who I was. I believe I emailed in question form similar to his questioning as if I was questioning him (if memory serves me correctly).

Well, the day came where we met over a cup of coffee or tea.

I smiled quietly outwardly though hugely inside attempting to keep my secret for as long as possible: he didn't seem to recognize me at all which somewhat surprised me, though it had been a few years since I had seen him last.

When I finally told him who I was after about five minutes or so and some guessing, he laughed. He was both shocked and surprised, yet delighted to meet someone from his past.

We ended up having a great discussion reminiscing about people we both knew from the church we used to attend and our lives since then.

The world is a small place after all
! Isn't it?! ;)


Epilogue: A number of years later, I attempted to re-establish contact with him as I moved into the region he used to live in. Unfortunately, I lost all contact with him as his information had changed. Too bad!

P.S. I couldn't figure out the share buttons...almost but not quite (enough)!

37 comments:

  1. That's a lovely anecdote, Elly! How nice to connect with people so far back from your past. It's a small world indeed. As for the sharing buttons, there are many tutorials. Look for the one who asks you to add Shareaholic buttons to your blog. I use that for my Blogger blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shailaja. :) Yes, it certainly is fun to reconnect with people. And I will have to check the buttons later. Thanks again! <3

      Delete
  2. The world does conspire for us to meet people from the past.. so nice to catch up after many years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's fun when that happens. :) Thanks for visiting! <3

      Delete
  3. It must have been wonderful meeting after so long. There is a different kind of feeling, a warmth, you feel when you meet someone from the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a fun and wonderful experience to re-meet someone from the past. :) <3

      Delete
  4. That was lovely to meet someone from the past and share memories. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is always fun to share memories with someone. :) <3

      Delete
  5. Elly dear, i am feeling quite embarrased after reading your post. I do not deserve so many words of appreciation. I thank you for all these words of praise.
    I liked your post immensely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No need to be embarrassed Usha: you deserve the praise! :) Thanks for stopping by and commenting. I am glad you enjoyed reading my post. <3

      Delete
  6. Great that the world is a small place! Nice that we do get to meet people from our past and relive through memories :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is fun to relive memories with other people. :) The world seems big at times, other times so small when this happens! ;) <3

      Delete
  7. It is usually fun meeting people from your past. I recently had a long phone chat with someone I used to work with long ago. Somehow, we'd lost touch with each other due to number changes, but it was just awesome catching up after a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, 'usually' fun depending on whom you meet, no doubt! ;) <3

      Delete
  8. It's always fun to meet long lost people. The world is indeed a small place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a fun experience sharing stories from the past. Indeed, the world is small at times! ;) <3

      Delete
  9. How cool that fate brought you two together again. You just never know what each new day will bring! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it was pretty cool Kathy! ;) It was both a surprise and delight, at least to me! ;) <3

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How lovely, Elly. I love connecting with people from the past too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachna. :) Yes, it is fun reconnecting with those from our past. <3

      Delete
  12. Its a small world after all.....and life is full of surprises.....isn't is Elly....:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is a small world Sunaina. :) And yes, life can have its moments of surprises such as the one I encountered! ;) <3

      Delete
  13. Oh this is wonderful Ell...I love connecting with people from the past, well, atleast some of them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Naba. It was indeed wonderful to connect or rather reconnect with someone from my past. Always fun to reminisce! :) <3

      Delete
  14. the world is indeed a very small place. I often come across old friends at odd places. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! And does that happen because you travel a lot? ;) <3

      Delete
  15. The world is indeed a small place. I met someone from high school some years ago in a suburban Sydney shopping centre. It was the most random thing ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it sure is Sanch. And I wonder with your travels if such occurrences might occur more frequently. Perhaps? ;) <3

      Delete
  16. Lovely to recognize an old friend like that, and then have a wonderful time :) I've recognized many friends like that, but just haven't approached them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was a fun connection Vinay. I say why not approach your friends and see what happens? You never know! :) <3

      Delete
  17. I met someone like that almost after 15 years! I can imagine the joy and thrill! the world is a small place indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that certainly IS a long time to reacquaint with someone! :) Yes, I suppose it was a bit of a thrill! ;) The world seems like a small global village at times. ;) <3

      Delete
  18. It's always lovely to meet again the people we met in the past. :)
    It's a small world after all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it certainly is or can be depending on the person(s)! ;) Certainly, a small world! <3

      Delete
  19. Ah...that must have been quite some meeting! These things are destiny, I believe... meeting, parting and then reuniting again. These happen if they are meant to happen. But then these are the small interesting bits in life that keeps us going, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly was quite some meeting, rather synchronistic as meant to be. :) And yes, it does make for an interesting life, for sure! ;) <3

      Delete